Tuesday, February 07, 2006

That's Gonna Leave A Mark

I'll be honest - I'm not a big fan of Senator McCain. Mainly because he seems to worry more about the national press's view of him than anything else, his recent grandstanding "tortute bill" being a prime example of a bill designed to satisfy no need except that of a media-driven uproar.

But this is too good not to share.

Apparently, Sen. McCain approached Sen. Barak Obama, the Democratic new kid on the black and Democratic rock star, for a bipartisan effort on an ethics panel. Obama appeared to agree, but then toed the Dem party line the next day. Needless to say, Sen. McCain was not amused.

McCain writes Obama:
"When you approached me and insisted that despite your leadership's preference to use the issue to gain a political advantage in the 2006 elections, you were personally committed to achieving a result that would reflect credit on the entire Senate and offer the country a better example of political leadership, I concluded your professed concern for the institution and the public interest was genuine and admirable. Thank you for disabusing me of such notions with your letter. ... I'm embarrassed to admit that after all these years in politics I failed to interpret your previous assurances as typical rhetorical gloss routinely used in political to make self-interested partisan posturing appear more noble. Again, sorry for the confusion, but please be assured I won't make the same mistake again."
McCain then closes:
"I understand how important the opportunity to lead your party's effort to exploit this issue must seem to a freshman Senator, and I hold no hard feelings over your earlier disingenuousness. Again, I have been around long enough to appreciate that in politics the public interest isn't always a priority for every one of us. Good luck to you, Senator."
Ouch. You're going to need to put some ice on that, Sen. Obama. And I'd keep away from McCain for a while.

Hat tip to
The Corner.

1 Comments:

At 11:47 AM, Blogger Tyler said...

It means to fall in line and do just as the party leaders told you to do.

Which is not too surprising - the Democrats have pretty effective party discipline - they will get back at you if you don't vote the way they want you to when they want you to. Obama has ambitions, and he has to keep the party leadership happy if he wants to act on them.

And I'm still no fan of McCain, at least not politically. He's a guy I think I would like on a personal basis - but his politics drives me nuts. I don't understand how he comes to the positions he does - it feels too much like his stances are driven by media pressure rather than personal conviction or the people's will.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home