Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Play It, Sam

Ilsa: Play it once, Sam. For old times' sake.
Sam: [lying] I don't know what you mean, Miss Elsa.
Ilsa: Play it, Sam. Play "As Time Goes By."
Sam: [lying] Oh, I can't remember it, Miss Elsa. I'm a little rusty on it.
Ilsa: I'll hum it for you. Da-dy-da-dy-da-dum, da-dy-da-dee-da-dum...
[Sam begins playing]
Ilsa: Sing it, Sam.
Sam: [singing] You must remember this / A kiss is still a kiss / A sigh is just a sigh / The fundamental things apply / As time goes by. / And when two lovers woo, / They still say, "I love you" / On that you can rely / No matter what the future brings-...
Rick: [rushing up] Sam, I thought I told you never to play-...
[Sees Ilsa. Sam closes the piano and rolls it away]
I had to beat Adam to this one: the American Film Institute has released its list of the top 100 best lines from American movies.

I think it is worth mentioning that only one movie has more than one or two lines on the list - and that movie has six lines making the list.

Casablanca. Probably the best movie the old Hollywood studio system ever made. Want to see some great lines? Click here.

2 Comments:

At 10:00 AM, Blogger Nathan said...

I found at least three other movies besides Casablanca that had multiple lines...Gone With the Wind, The Wizard of Oz, and Sunset Blvd.

Casablanca is a legend, not a classic. It was merely OK. I didn't feel drawn into the plot. Probably meant more to older generations.

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger Tyler said...

Yeah, I saw that on a second read. The post has been fixed.

As for "not a classic" - HERETIC! BLASPHEMER! PHILISTINE!

Look again - it's all there. Good acting. Good story. Great writing. Good set design and lighting. It is ALL there.

Think back to when it was made, 1942. World War II had begun in earnest. Europe had fallen under the swatztika. America lay sleeping across the Atlantic, preferring to sit this war out.

Casablanca is a movie about redemption, and about faith. Faith in freedom, faith in ideas greater than ourselves, a belief that thre are some things worth fighting for, despite the high price they command.

It still has great meaning and I would argue relevancy, even now in this post-9/11 world. Perhaps now more than in a long time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home