Monday, November 14, 2005

Back From Bah-stun

I have returned from New England. Had a great time. The business end of the trip went very well, and I was able to play the tourist for two full days. Thanks to our own Maine Man and his lovely wife for showing me around their hometown.

A few quick thoughts:

  • One of the things that sticks out is how much older everything is back there. For example, Salem was established (as a township) over 220 years before anyone ever settled in Utah. Gives a new persepective.
  • There are old homes, grand old churches, and old graveyards all over the place.
  • Lexington and Concord are cool. There's a stretch of the old road between them that looks pretty similar to April 19, 1775.
  • Everyone I dealt with face-to-face was very polite and friendly. Even when they didn't have to be.
  • I never compain about Utah drivers again. Massachusetts drivers are far, far worse.
  • Boston is the most car-unfriendly city I have ever been in. I spent as much time lost in Boston as I did seeing things in Boston. I wish I was kidding.
  • Massachusetts, at least up-state eastern Massachusetts, is very pretty. There were just enough leaves left to hint at the spectacular fall they must have had a few weeks ago. And there are rivers, lakes, and ponds everywhere.
So I had a good time. I'll try to get some pictures up soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home