Friday, May 13, 2005

Freedom Esoterica Friday

Submitted for your perusal:

New VDH piece is up -
Remembering WWII.

A
new Mark Steyn column - and a great old column, Death and Decadence.

What is a conservative? Jonah Goldberg offers a definition.



Churchill Quote of the Week:
The new Minister of Fuel and Power, Hugh Gaitskell, later Attlee's successor as leader of the Labour Party, had advocated saving energy by taking fewer baths: "Personally, I have never had a great many baths myself, and I can assure those who are in the habit of having a great many that it does not make a great difference to their health if they have less." Churchill, a renowned bather, responded: "When Ministers of the Crown speak like this on behalf of HM Government, the Prime Minister and his friends have no need to wonder why they are getting increasingly into bad odour. I have even asked myself, when meditating upon these points, whether you, Mr. Speaker, would admit the word 'lousy' as a Parliamentary expression in referring to the Administration, provided, of course, it was not intended in a contemptuous sense but purely as one of factual narration."

1 Comments:

At 1:21 PM, Blogger Tyler said...

Oh, upping the ante, are we?

Well, speaking for myself, George Washington is at once my favorite and most inspiring American. However, I am far more familiar with his actions than with his words. Abraham Lincoln and Benjamin Franklin rank as seconds, and the Federalist Papers are on my eventual "to read" list.

When it comes to other wordsmiths, I need to become more familiar with Edmund Burke. There are some things he said that I keenly agree with, and I want to learn more.

As for you, Adam, I would guess you admire either Reagan or Washington.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home