Friday, December 30, 2005

The Friday Furo Questus

Questus Furore - I Resolve...
Here we are, at the turning of another year.

And of course, the inevitable resolutions. Along with the usual ones to lose weight and eat healthier, I have some spiritual goals I hope to accomplish, I plan to date more, to read more, and to get going on that train layout I've been itching to get going. While some are more possible than others (although I did have two dates in a single month this month - wonders never cease), they're goals worth shooting for.

It also offers a time for some introspection and retrospection, a time to look at ourselves and where we have been. While I'm not satisfied with where I am (hence the aforementioned resolutions), there's time to improve, and in all, it's been a good year. I've been able to travel a little, making it to Chicago, Boston, and Boise; my dating situation is a little better than it was at this time last year; and thank's to Jamo's urgings, I started blogging.

One of the results of Jamo's urgings is this blog, the Wasatch Front.

What will the New Year bring? Who knows? Good and evil, heroics and cowardice, war and peace will all come. If we're lucky, 2006 will be a relatively quiet year, but I can't help but wonder if we live in the "interesting times" threatened by that old Chinese curse. Some interesting things will happen - Jamo will be getting hitched, the Unknowable and Nate each will be bringing a new life into the world, Maine Man will still be Down East, and The Niem, Matt and I - well, we'll be here too.

Whatever happens, we'll be here, putting in our two cents.

Recommended Reading
A lot of year-end stuff at National Review; a couple I would recommend are the review of the best and worst of '05, and this symposium of predictions for 2006.

Victor Davis Hanson has another great essay, too.

Patrolling the Front
...will be back in 2006.

Thought of the Week
"Where in the heck did 2005 go?"
Tyler

Just kidding. Here we go:
"Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man."
Benjamin Franklin

Churchill Quote of the Week
"Every day you may make progress. Every step may be fruitful. Yet there will stretch out before you an ever-lengthening, ever-ascending, ever-improving path. You know you will never get to the end of the journey. But this, so far from discouraging, only adds to the joy and glory of the climb."
Sir Winston Churchill

A good thought to keep in mind as we make our New Year's resolutions.

Happy New Year, everybody. See you in '06.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home