Monday, September 12, 2005

CNN.com - Roberts confirmation hearings begin - Sep 12, 2005

CNN.com - Roberts confirmation hearings begin - Sep 12, 2005

Quick question, and I ask this out of ignorance and lack of time to research it myself. I saw the following quote in this article:

"For me, one of the most important issues that needs to be addressed by Judge Roberts is the constitutional right to privacy," said Feinstein, according to her pre-released opening remarks. "I am concerned by a trend on the court to limit this right and curtail women's autonomy. It would be very difficult for me to vote to confirm someone to the Supreme Court whom I knew would overturn Roe v. Wade," the 1973 Supreme Court ruling legalizing abortion.

Q: is there a constitutional right to privacy?

2 Comments:

At 4:20 PM, Blogger Tyler Farrer said...

Opinions vary on this question.

Planned Parenthood says that there is a 'Constitutional Right', but they are using the term 'Constitution' loosely because nowhere on their website do they cite the Constitution itself in defending their thesis. They do, however, cite the Supreme Court--which is at the heart of the controversy. Those who think that we should hold to an originalist interpretation of the Constitution would argue that the Courts invented a right to privacy out of whole cloth.

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger Nathan said...

As far as I understand it, the Constitution itself was meant to define the rights of government...not the rights of citizens. Therefore, there is no "Constitutional" right to privacy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home