Friday, July 29, 2005

CEOs on the high seas in superyachts

Want to see how "the other half" lives? This is a profile of the super-yacht of Paul Allen, co-founder of Microsoft. It's a $200 million boat with a remote controlled unsersea rover, a 12-man submersible (that's right... a submarine) and a crew of 60 (including former Navy Seals). It's even got a recording studio because, hey, who doesn't need that! The thing is 416 feet long.

Want some more salt rubbed in the wound? He's got 2 other super yacths, though it may make you feel better to know they're not as big.

This article also profiles Larry Ellison's (think Oracle...) monstrosity of a sea-skimmer.

I'm not bitter about any of this. I just wonder what it would be like to have more money than many small countries...

CEOs on the high seas in superyachts - Jul. 29, 2005

These are shots of Allen's boat, Octopus.



4 Comments:

At 2:17 PM, Blogger Tyler said...

It's good to be the king...

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Tyler said...

The Octopus...

Doesn't that look like a Bond villain headquarters to you?

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger Maine Man said...

Can you imagine spending $2,000,000 a month to keep it up and running?

I need a friend with one of those. So, which of you is going to do it? Tyler, I'm looking at you.

 
At 1:08 AM, Blogger e.gage said...

Don't mean to damage the envy of all... but again, besides simply for show value, what's the point of owning this thing? I mean, I guess if you live at sea or are invading a small third-world country... but otherwise, how is this different from the family that owns two jet-runners that they use three days a year at lake powell? I'm sorry. I really know I should act impressed and pretend I admire that this is how he spends his money: OOOOOHH, THAT'S SO FREAKIN COOL!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home