Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Cinderella Man



I, along with Tyler Lees, Brett Josie, and our friend Aubrey, went and saw Cinderella Man last night. I have been anticipating this one for a while. Russell Crowe stars, with a great supporting cast. I was also looking forward to the reuniting of Ron Howard and Crowe. I really enjoyed their last movie, and I can't recall the last time I walked out of either a Russell Crowe or Ron Howard film and thought, "Boy! That was crap!" I think both of these individuals are masters of their craft, and so I had high hopes. Paul Giamatti was also great, and I'm looking forward to seeing him in more upcoming movies.

I overheard someone say "Oh, that just looks like a feel-good movie." I don't know about you... but i like feeling good...

In the end, I gave it 3/4 stars. The cinematography was great. The actors did a great job. The music was just right. A solid act, all around. And though therew as some cheese, it wasn't over the top. It felt a little flat at places, and like it was trying too hard, but in the end I enjoyed it. I would recommend seeing this one in theaters. Those boxing scenes just won't have the same effect on a small screen.

And that's my 24 cents on the subject.

4 Comments:

At 2:21 PM, Blogger Tyler said...

I'd give it a 3.5/4. The boxing scenes had me literally on the edge of my seat, and I'm not a big boxing fan (and I knew going in how the story ends). Jamo is very right - this won't be the same on the small screen.

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger Tyler said...

Oh, and two more things:

The atmospherics are great. You feel like you're in 1930s New York.

And Paul Giamatti is fantastic. You end up liking his character as much as you like Braddock.

Random observation - is it just me, or were men cooler when they wore hats?

 
At 3:22 PM, Blogger j.m. said...

WAY cooler with hats.

 
At 7:11 AM, Blogger Matt Garn said...

I saw this movie last night and I am with Tyler 3.5/4. I thought that the movie was incredible and will inevitably win many awards. Thats my 2 cents.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home