Tuesday, May 24, 2005

U.S. House votes to outlaw computer spyware

U.S. House votes to outlaw computer spyware - Yahoo! News

It's about time. Now, let's see how they plan on enforcing this stuff.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. House of Representatives on Monday voted to establish new penalties for purveyors of Internet "spyware" that disables users' computers and secretly monitors their activities.

By overwhelming majorities, the House passed two bills that stiffen jail sentences and establish multimillion-dollar fines for those who use secret surveillance programs to steal credit-card numbers, sell software or commit other crimes.

5 Comments:

At 3:42 PM, Blogger Tyler Farrer said...

Spyware is actually illegal in Utah, since the last session. It's much more enforceable on a Federal scale, though.

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger Maine Man said...

I agree with you, but I still get hung up on that 10th amendment, thing.

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger Tyler Farrer said...

I was referring to the bills that would make phishing, etc, a federal crime when I suggested enforcement. I'm not suggesting that the federal government enforce Utah's law.

Are you suggesting that the 10th amendment, would make this federal law invalid? If so, why?

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger Tyler said...

For enforcement, I vote we use bounty hunters with massive amounts of firepower. With Apaches and F-16's on standby.

Don't like spyers and spammers. I'm just fine with my size, thank you very much. And I like my homepage right where it is.

More seriously, I think that a federal law is necessary and proper, under the commerce clause of the Constitution. [Article 1, Section 8, Clause 3: Congress shall have the power to "To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes." As spam is beginning to come to a point where it interferes with commerce (only 3 spams in my company email today, how about you?) it will soon either have to be regulated or email will cease to become a viable avenue for business communication.

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger Maine Man said...

I refered to the 10th amendment only in that I didn't think this was a power of the Fed and should be left to the states even though it would be difficult for the states to enforce it. Tyler's comment, however, nulifies mine.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home