Friday, April 22, 2005

Friends, Bloggers, lend me your... um, fingers.

With graduation upon me, I expect to have a lot of free time headed my way. In an attempt not to get lazy after I graduate I have set a goal to read all the great stuff I haven't had time to read while working and attending school.

I have compiled a list of books I would like to read, but I wanted input from the rest of you. Send me lists of your favorite books, those you have found to be influential or intellectually stimulating.

Currently, on my docket to read are the following titles
Paradise Lost
The Canterbury Tales
My Name is Asher Lev (I want to re-read this one)
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

The list of books on my shelf that fall under the "influential and greats" includes, among many others, the following titles:
My Name is Asher Lev
Fried Green Tomatoes
1984
The Screwtape Letters
Catcher in the Rye
Franny and Zooey
A Tale of Two Cities
Brave new World


Please comment and let me know what some of your favotires are; what you'd recommend as a "must read."

6 Comments:

At 11:29 AM, Blogger Nathan said...

The Silmarillion - JRR Tolkien
(However, if you didn't like Lord of the Rings don't bother)

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger Ethan said...

If you read Tinker, Tailor, Solier, Spy
Then you should read the next two, The Honourable Schoolboy, and Smiley's People.
It's a trilogy, and it's great. Actually, I recommend everything from John Le Carre except Single & Single. I was bored with it.

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger e.gage said...

Being one of those damn English majors, here's my thoughts:

skip Canterbury Tales;
Paradise Lost is great, but here are some others that are great for those oh, so many cocktail parties you'll be attending now that you are a college grad as you socialize with the rich and educated that have gone before you... and besides these are some of the best damn books ever written (yes, my opinion, but honestly my opinion is unquestionably right):

The Famished Road (Ben Okri)

The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint (Brady Udall)

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius (Dave Eggers)

All the Pretty Horses (Cormac McCarthy) (and then once you've read that one, read Cities of the Plain, also by Cormac McCarthy)

A People's History of the United States (Howard Zinn)

Man's Search for Meaning (Victor Frankl) -- if you haven't read this one start here because this is the most important

... I could recommend more but that'll give you a good jumping off point.

 
At 9:33 PM, Blogger Maine Man said...

I agree with you about "man's search for happiness" and going along with that read "the hiding place." Different story but with some of the same conclusions taken from the concentration camps.

I would also recommend "all creatures great and small" and "all things bright and beautiful." Oh yeah, and how could I forget: the entire "master and commander" series is great.

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger Tyler said...

If you want to understand WWI: Dreadnought and Steel Castles by Raymond Massie and The First World War by John Keegan

The Honor Harrington Series by David Weber, starting with On Basilisk Station. Sci-fi, but good sci-fi.

A Tale of Two Cities is fantastic. It starts slow, but the ending will stay with you forever. High time for me to read it again.

Black Hawk Down by Mark Bowden. If you want to understand what modern war is like, start here.

I'm sure I can come up with more later...

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger Maine Man said...

I forgot to mention The Count of Monte Cristo. The movie was lame, but the book is great! And as long as were talking Frenchies, Les Miserable- but get a condensed version 'cause I think Hugo followed the motto: "Why say in 10 words what you could say in a thousand."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home